Here is how to get out with all the gold in Fallout: New Vegas Dead Money
1. Save before you enter the vault. Once you are in, you can’t get out again without triggering the end result. Also, there is a holo tape on the landing in front of the vault. Don’t save next to the toolbox though. I hear there is a bug that will kill you over and over.
2. Before you enter the vault, be sure that you have a bunch of gas bombs (more would be better) and/or frag mines. I was able to make this work with four of each.
3. Also, make sure that you have a couple of stealth boys and also the Assassin’s suit and the stealth magazines.
4. Armed with these, enter the vault. Grab all the gold inside (there is one bar on the console next to the computer). Also check out the other items in the vault. There isn’t a hurry at this point.
5. Once you are ready to go, drop only the gold right in front of the door. It will be in one handy gold bar.
6. Access the computer to the left of the door if you are facing it, and disengage the security, then walk to the vault computer.
7. Save right here.
8. If you are trying for the stealth go right next to the vault computer and activate everything including your stealthboy.
9. On the vault computer, access only the For Vera information. If you access the other document, it will trigger an end game video. You starve to death. It auto saves right here, so you can always go back.
10. Once you exit from the computer, Elijah will show up on the screen above you. You should listen to his story for extra points. Also do the speech challenges to convince him to come down. He will eventually.
11. As soon as you exit from the computer, run to the door and grab the gold as it opens.
12 and 13 are two ways to solve it. I ended up doing 13 because I didn’t have a stealth boy. I researched the solutions and here they are:
12. Waddle as fast as you can for the middle stairway. You should be cloaked the entire time. By now, Elijah should be coming down. Hurry as fast as you can and sneak along the path to the right and down a short hallway that curves back on itself like a U. To your left is the first door and then the second door you can open to go down the hallway. This is insanely hard. I wasn’t able to do it even without the full weight of the gold, most likely because I wasn’t sneaky enough (and didn’t have the stealth boy). Unfortunately, you only have a certain amount of time to get it done this way, or if Elijah sees you, you’re toast.
13. This I was able to do. It’s kind of cheating. However it worked for me. Once you open the door with all the gold and everything else you possess, go to the right and up the first staircase to the right. It’s very short, and has a blue shield. Elijah will stand there on the other side. On the landing below the steps, drop all your gas bombs and frag mines around a short area. By now, the laser turrets will be firing, so be careful. Once you have spread them around, walk back up the stairs and push against the shield with your back while shooting one of the laser cannons. When you destroy it, you will fall through the shield when Elijah slips through it. You will hang there for just a moment in third person. Meanwhile, Elijah will go down the steps and die when he sets off all the mines and gas bombs. Once he dies, then just walk down the short hallway, open up the doors and walk forward until you reach the elevator. You’re done!
If Elijah doesn’t die, you’ll have to restart from your last save game. So, if you are trying this method, I would save after talking with him in the vault.
I tried #12 about 20 times and wasn’t able to do it. I tried #13 two times and got it done on the second try.
Once you have all the gold, deposit most of it in a trash can in the Villa. Use the garbage can as a base to go exploring. You need to go to the hologram vendors and trade as much as possible in for pre-war money. They have a bunch of it. Once you have all you want traded in, you can grab the remaining gold and head back to the wasteland. Once you leave, however, you can’t get back.
This entry was posted on Thursday, January 20th, 2011. You can follow any responses to this entry through the Comments RSS 2.0 feed.