Close Panel

Something to Read:

Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?

Saturday, January 26, 2008
Print This Article Print This Article | Email This Article Email This Article

Normally by now I’d have my hands on the latest version of my favorite reference manual, “DVD & Video Guide 2008“  by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter.  But for some reason, it’s not out yet!  Further, you can’t find information about the duo’s next effort on www.ballantinebooks.com, the publisher of previous editions or by doing a search on GOOGLE.  What gives?

I can’t find very much information out there about Marsha Porter.

But I did discover this snippet:  Mick Martin plays Blues music and has his own radio show out of Sacramento, CA.  The station is 90.9 and his show, entitled “Mick Martin’s Blues Party”, is on Saturdays from 1-5PM.  Here is the website for that.  He looks like a friendly guy.  If you happen to be able to catch that station you should check out his show.

If you do happen to know when, if at all, the next DVD & Video Guide is coming out, please email us or use the comment form.

Related Entries:

1. Compare Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide to The DVD & Video Guide by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter
  2. DVD & Video Guide Update
  3. Help us Get the DVD & Video Guide Published Again
  4. Review: VideoHound’s Golden Movie Retriever Guide
  5. The Geekscribe Guide to Getting Wifely Approval to Buy DVD’s

Kevin

Written by: Kevin

This entry was posted on Saturday, January 26th, 2008. You can follow any responses to this entry through the Comments RSS 2.0 feed.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

82 Responses to “Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?”

1. Ed says:

January 26th, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Thank you, Kevin.

I thought I was the only one who was searching in vain for the ’08 Video Guide. I posted a question at Random House (the parent company of Ballantine Books,) re: whether they were planning to publish an ’08 version of the guide, but thus far, no response.

Interestingly, Mick Martin doesn’t show up in their search engine.

I e-mailed the address in the ’07 guide (at some CA university, as I recall) asking the same question, but, here again, no response.

I plan to try to contact Martin through the radio station you mentioned.

The quest continues!

Ed Flesch
    Healdsburg, CA

2. Kevin

Kevin says:

January 26th, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for your comments! I did a search for them on the site and nothing. You can’t even get old copies there! Please let us know how your quest goes.

3. Ed says:

January 28th, 2008 at 10:13 am

Kevin:

Mick Martin responded to the note I e-mailed him in care of the radio station you identified. Here’s what he had to say:

Hello Ed — Random House surprised us on 9/11/06 by deciding not to publish “The DVD & Video Guide” anymore. Their rationale was that “people can get the same information on the internet.” We disagree and are trying to get it published by Sterling Publications, which owns Barnes and Noble. We’ve been “on the hook” for eight months now, but we’re not giving up! — Mick

Not very encouraging!

I’m going to ask Mr. Martin if he thinks it would help if his readers contacted Sterling Publications and/or Barnes & Noble to lobby them on behalf of the book, and, if so, how we should go about it.

I’ll keep you posted.

Ed Flesch
    EdFlesch@comcast.net

FYI, his e-mail address is: HarpMick@aol.com

4. Alicia says:

February 16th, 2008 at 12:33 pm

What a bummer! I have been buying these books for the past 5 years or so! I use them to update my movie collection and keep track of what I have. They will be missed :unhappy:

5. sam says:

February 17th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Very sad – i’ve been buying those books since the early 90s…
    But now at least i know what happened. Been looking for information about the 2008 release for some time now.
    This really sucks

6. DrDeb says:

March 4th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Have been buying this book every year for at least 10 years, and will miss it terribly! It’s by far the best movie review book out there. I took Ed’s suggestion to contact Random House, and will also send an email to Mick Martin (see Ed’s comment) to find out how we can help to get this fine resource back in print.

7. Dave says:

March 13th, 2008 at 7:35 pm

If not in print then how about a downloadable version? There is a version of Leonard Maltin Movie Guide for Palm OS.

8. Ralf says:

May 3rd, 2008 at 9:41 pm

I hope that Mick and Marsha are able to get 2008 published through Barns and Noble. They should also consider a downloadable version, say as of 2009!

9. Mark W says:

November 3rd, 2008 at 6:44 am

i am in agreement with everyone else. i have been buying martin and porter’s guide every year in august and could not even find a whisper as to what happened to the ’08 edition. that book was my source. sorry, mick and marsha, i feel like i’m losing family.

10. Barbara L says:

November 14th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Glad I have comrades in the quest for an 07 and 08 edition—no offense but
    Leonard Maltin doesn’t come close!
    Thanks for the email address, Ed.  I will certainly let both Mick and Random House know
    how much my favorite reference is missed.  I agree with Mark—it was my source! and as Sam says, ‘it really sucks’ if annual editions are a thing of the past.

11. Valerie says:

November 14th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

I have been buying this book for my husband for years and he also loves it. Last year I had to get a different one and needless to say it wasn’t nearly as good. I hope you have luck getting it published with someone else.

12. Joe in Mexico says:

November 15th, 2008 at 6:13 pm

You are all completely correct. Mick and Marsha’s DVD guides are the best. Living in different countries for most of the last ten years I have come to rely on their guide for my mail order purchases. I have bought many other guides; Blockbuster’s, Video Hound, Maltin’s, etc. None of them are as good as the Mick Martin and Marsha Porter DVD guides.

13. Ron says - says:

November 23rd, 2008 at 10:59 pm

I’m not a religious man, but this is/was definitely my bible. All of my previous editions are so worn out that entire sections have started coming apart. Apart from reviews, it is absolutely indespensable for fact checking and referencing Stars, Directors, Release dates, you name it. It has a permanent place on my coffe table, always within arm reach. What can I say…I can’t live without it!

14. Tom says:

November 28th, 2008 at 3:18 pm

November 2008, I agree Leonard Martin”s reference isn’t a replacement. Martin and Porter are far superior. The absence of Martin and Porter’s names on their former publisher’s web site Makes you wonder how good the publisher’s material is.

15. Paul says:

November 29th, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I recall my father owning the 1988 guide, and we’d regularly consult it when we went to the video store to get movies for the weekend. Of course, we got the updated versions throughout the 90s and into this decade. I was just thinking it was time to get another one, only to find out they are no longer. I know Maltin has a competing guide, but it’s not the same. Martin and Porter had great taste (most of the time. Of course there were more than a few disagreements too). I hope Sterling publications, is paying attention to this site and others. There’s obviously still a demand for this book, and Random House lost out on a good thing.

16. Sarah B says:

December 11th, 2008 at 9:12 am

Ah! I sold my 2006 at a rummage sale in hopes of getting a fresh copy. I am so upset! I was going to get one for my parents as well for Xmas! Anyone hear anything more as to who we should bug to get this published again??

17. Harrison says:

December 16th, 2008 at 4:04 pm

I was in shock today when I found out from my local Barnes and
    Noble store that a new 2009 Martin and Porter guide is no longer available.Fortunately I did not throw away or dispose of my 2006 edition; however it is getting a little long in the tooth. Please?!?! Sterling or Barnes and Noble: Publish the book !

18. Ruth says:

December 30th, 2008 at 11:50 am

I am glad to at least find an answer here. I could use this book to avoid the many turkeys I watched without it. Their opinions so closely follow my own, and there is no other guide that even comes close. I hope they change their mind and give us a 2009 edition, even if it is late!!! Can we petition this somewhere?

19. Ruth says:

December 30th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I found the related post on this website that gives a direct form to fill out and request this be published again.  http://www.geekscribe.com/2008/05/13/help-us-get-the-dvd-video-guide-published-again/comment-page-1/#comment-844
    Thank you, Kevin.

20. Bring back the DVD Movie Guide « As blog as it gets says:

January 5th, 2009 at 9:42 pm

[...] published. He and Marsha tried their best to find another publisher but to no avail. DMG has its fans. People want it back. The decision to cancel it, while Maltin’s and other yearly review books [...]

21. Thomas Blaisdell says:

January 13th, 2009 at 8:45 am

Me, too! This  guide was the best. Really miss it. Was holding out one more year after being unable to find it last year but not seeing it again this year led me to this site.  Guess we’ll have to choose from what’s left… Tom

22. naveen gopi says:

February 17th, 2009 at 3:33 am

i was also surprised not to find in 08′
    They were the best in the business
    i am from india ……..and i searched the entire southern belt.

23. Christin says:

March 3rd, 2009 at 9:27 am

I thought I was losing my mind.  Where is my saving grace?  I love having that book on hand to answer all my movie trivia needs.  I have other guides such as Leonards which are not as thorough.  Hope to see 2008 guide soon.  We need it!

24. Donna says:

May 4th, 2009 at 5:59 am

Well, pooh! I realized that my version is out of date and attempted to order it through the bookstore where I work. OOPS! No such book, no such authors!!! Now, I understand. But, it doesn’t make the pain go away. Sterling, Random House, SOMEone has to pick this up again!

25. LindaBerlinda says:

July 7th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I’m relieved to know I’m not craxy too. Went into Borders last month to look for the latest version only to find none and I figured they were just sold out. This is sad, very sad. The reason this guide is the best is for all the reference material in the back. For people with horrible memories, having the actors and the movies they were in was invaluable! If you could remember just ONE person’s name, you’d most likely have the movie name, date, etc. We were always using this guide at work because someone could either remember the name but not the actors…or vice versa. I am going to write to everyone possible to put in MY request that this volume continue on. And for blues and blues-rock lovers, Mick’s show on KXJZ 90.9 Sacramento State’s public radio station is a GREAT show. He has encyclopedic knowledge of blues songs and performers world-wide. He sometimes does special shows showcasing some bands or memorial shows when a bluesman dies. Saturday 1-5…give a listen if you can!

26. bill pritchard says:

August 2nd, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Hard to believe that the last comments were made eight months ago.
    I, too, have used this wonderful reference book for years, buying one every two years or so. The fact that it has disappeared is unconscionable, obviously a factor, I’m guessing, of corporate culture and the ever-changing world of the internet. Yes, I can get all the information on the net, but no other publication can let me index by cast or director. I hope this not the death knell of this great book.
    Also, I had no idea that Mr. Martin was such a creative and ordinary sort of fellow, not a big-time movie reviewer. I do not now anything about Marsha Martin, but if she co-created this then she gets my vote, too. I hope this isn’t the end.

27. Eduardo BR says:

August 7th, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I can’t believe it!
    I had hope that someday could find a more recent version of VMG.
    I live in Brazil and purchased this Guide in three versions: 2000, 2002 and 2005. Since 2007 I’ve been searching in the brazilians libraries without success. And now I discovered that they don’t publish the VMG anymore. It’s the best Movie Guide, in my opinion. The comments of the authors where very in commom with my particular opnions. I’ll miss the work of Mick and Marsha. I suspect that I’ll never find a Movie Guide that fill the vacant space left by Mick & Marsha’s VMG.

28. Debi Christensen says:

September 20th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Random House couldn’t be more wrong that people can get the same info from the internet. Though my husband and I are both avid internet users, when we are in the middle of watching a movie, we do not want to jump up and long into IMDB or whatever to get the answer. We use this video guide. And we do not care for others we have seen. We are both Baby Boomers, and believe that there are many others that feel as we do. We’ll make do with the 2006 version, which was the last one we managed to find. I am glad we saved it!

29. Anne V. says:

September 27th, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Most complete, comprehensive movie/DVD/Vido guide ever. I thought anyone could get a book published nowadays – forget Random House/Barnes & Noble, whoever snaps this one up could be sitting on a gold mine.

30. Anne V. says:

September 27th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Most complete, comprehensive movie/DVD/Vido guide ever. I thought anyone could get a book published nowadays – forget Random House/Barnes & Noble, etc., whoever snaps this one up could be sitting on a gold mine.

31. Fran says:

October 18th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

This is terrible. I was going to purchase updated copies for all my “movie night” friends!! It was the best guide around. Thank you to this site for letting me know why I never saw any of those updated copies at my local bookstore.

32. Dan says:

October 27th, 2009 at 6:23 am

I too, am one of the crying masses that hold this guide above all others. I hope the Mr. Martin and Ms. Porter find a new publisher, but at this point I am sure that they have probably moved on to other ventures. Sad.

33. Chris M says:

December 11th, 2009 at 7:45 am

Add me onto the list of long time “Video Movie Guide” fans. This was my reoccurring Christmas present for the better part of a decade and a few years ago, I realized they had stopped publishing the book, which was heartbreak hotel for me. As said in previous posts, this book surpasses the power of the internet with its comprehensive index and great reviews. If companies like Random House and Barnes & Noble continue not to publish books like this merely because “we can get this information on the internet”, they are ignoring the time and care that individuals like Mick Martin and Marsha Porter have taken because they actually give a damn, and are cutting off a key resource used by thousands of film fans worldwide.

34. Paul says:

December 27th, 2009 at 10:43 am

My family also misses the Porter/Martin DVD and Movie Guide. It has been our reference for all things movie-ish for decades. Our last copy is falling apart! We really want this book back.

35. Diane says:

January 30th, 2010 at 11:35 am

We really miss the DVD and Movie Guide. We purchased the Leonard Maltin book, but it’s no replacement to the Martin/Porter Guide. We keep referring back to our old book, which is falling apart. We really NEED an updated DVD and Movie Guide!!! We refer to it almost daily as we enjoy watching old movies.

36. sue caroline says:

February 6th, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Geez, god, I thought I “needed” a 2007 or above now that it’s 2010 but now I think I should create a hard cover for my ole faithful 2006 printing!
    What’s the latest on this quest we all seem to have?
    I want more!

37. Nick Davies says:

February 18th, 2010 at 4:30 am

In my desperate search for a new or even recent edition of The Guide I came across this website, which explains all. I, too, have been buying this invaluable book for years and my last copy (2003) has finally fallen apart. It rests on the floor next to the sofa and I refer to it every time I watch a movie on TV or on DVD, literally every day and sometimes several times a day. It beats all the other guides and Martin and Porter consistently produce accurate and witty comments that almost always match my own feelings. Publishers please re-publish!

38. Joe Torres says:

March 28th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Thank you, thank you thank you! I finally realize that I’m not the only person looking for this guide “DVD & Video 2006″ by Mike Martin and Marsha Porter. I have been using this book for numerous years now and its finally hit bottom with ripped pages and taped just about every where I could place a piece of tape. How will I be able to do my crosswords puzzles and look up movie titles, DVD’s etc. The book is GREAT! Right now the book is on top of my desk laying in two halves and the front page hanging for dear life. bring the book back! You have no idea how many books stores I have gone to attempting to find a new copy or even oldcopy without results.

39. Redguru says:

April 4th, 2010 at 6:31 am

Yes, I spend many hours at imdb.com, and it answers all my questions about films and filmmakers. However, nothing I’ve found can replace the reviews that Martin & Porter offer. Concise, insightful, often humourous, and very much in line with my own opinions. My wife would buy a copy for me for Christmas each year. If possible, in the over-sized version! There are so many new & newly-released films we’d like their guidance on since 2007. I shed a tear for the discontinuation of the series. Maybe someone someday will at least give them webspace to share their reviews with the world.

40. Mike Jones says:

May 5th, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I would look for Mick Martin’s movie reviews in the Sacramento Union newspaper years ago, mainly because they seemed to be the ones most likely to tell me what I would expect to see. They would tell me about the enjoyment factor rather than actor’s performance, etc. I hope I can find his and her work when it comes out again. Somebody PLEASE let me know. I would be thankful.

41. Ted Haynes says:

June 11th, 2010 at 9:58 am

I used to but this guide EVERY year. Due to a lot of busy drama and finances, I haven’t bothered to look for a current edition until now, and now I know why I can’t find one. How dissapointing! This book was indispensable! I recently purchased a copy of Maltin’s guide, and it was NO substitute. It is too harsh, not very fair at all, and not a very enjoyable read. I do hope this will change , and that Martin/Porter will get a chance to help movie nuts like myself to really discover cinema that I, otherwise would have missed out on, again. There is no other such guide out there which is as enjoyable, and helpful for the average, non-snobbish movie fan. Random House is nuts… but that’s corporate thing for ya! Money talks, and we all know what walks.

42. DAVID SMITH says:

June 12th, 2010 at 9:44 am

I have been purchasing the Movie Guide since the early 90′s and just assumed Mick & Marsha were tired of writing a new book every year. Now I hear it’s due to the publisher. What a downer!!! That guide was my Bible.

43. Annette says:

June 13th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

For months I have been thinking that I should really buy an updated version of the Video Movie Guide. (Mine is the 2002 version). I googled Ballantine Press and, like others before me, was directed to this website, only to find out it is no longer published. Bummer!

44. Fred says:

July 8th, 2010 at 9:48 am

I don’t know how corporate heads think. The Martin & Porter DVD/Video Guide was by far and away the best guide out there. The information and indexing were outstanding. My whole family uses our 2005 as a movie bible right next to the TV. It is convenient when we are watching a movie and can’t remember a characters name or the date of the production. The commets are excellent. Now it is no more and for a substitute Leonard Maltin doesn’t even come close. Why corporations eliminate excellence and promote mediocrity reminds me of how our government operates!

45. PortPowerAZ says:

December 3rd, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Marsha Porter taught a Foreign Film class for C.K. McClatchy High School in 1993, where I took said class as a freshman. This was where I also found out about her bookwriting of these Video Guides. I enjoyed her Foreign Film class and learned about many film styles, still my favourite class ever!

46. Cindy says:

December 7th, 2010 at 12:14 pm

My poor 2006 edition of this amazing guide is in pieces…literally. I have to pick up one part of it for the films, the other part for the actors/directors index. I don’t have a clue where the front cover is. But the book still sits next to my movie-watching spot, waiting for my next question. Don’t know what I’ll do when it completely disintegrates. Maltin’s book sucks. Hopefully one day Martin & Porter will find a way to get the book back on the shelf. Hard to believe a BOOK PUBLISHER would suggest going to the web rather than reading a book, Isn’t that shooting themselves in the foot? This world is getting more stupid every day.

47. Jere says:

December 29th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Proud owner of the 2002 edition. Read my blog post about it here: http://letsgosox.blogspot.com/2010/12/nine-year-project-complete.html

Thanks.

48. Melody says:

January 8th, 2011 at 11:05 am

I have the 2007 Guide. When I went searching for a new edition, I first looked at Amazon.com. They are selling the new 2007 DVD and Video Guide for over $2000! I find that to be incredible! I am glad I still have the 2007 Guide, and will miss not being able to get new ones.

49. Angela says:

January 24th, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I just found this online blog because I have been wanting to get my hands on their latest movie guide too! I only have the 2004 version, but had used Leonard Malton’s version before that, but his reviews are nowhere near as accurate, comprehensive & helpful as Martin & Porter’s edditions! It is the BEST one out there – I have agreed with almost every movie review (of movies I have watched), and I am so disappointed to read the above posts that they are no longer publishing the books! If it ever becomes avaiable, I know of several people in my family that will be buying the latest version!! By the way, internet reviews are not adequate!!

50. Doug Bruner says:

January 26th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I was sad to find out this fine DVD and Video guide by Martin and Porter has run its course. I still have the 2006 Guide (20th anniversary edition)in new mint condition and I wouldn’t sell it for $5000.00 I am stuck now reading Maltin’s Guide or Roger Ebert’s articles on Facebook. I have even considered writing my own Video Guide to fill the void. So many movies-so little time!!

51. Aidiana Kingston says:

April 6th, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I am glad to have found this thread, for I was fearing either Martin or Porter had quit or passed away, but it’s absense in the stores is a result of the publishers! Terrible. The reviews are great for reference and, even better, I like to read up on their turkey reviews because they can be hysterical. I own a 1990, a 1995, a 1999, and a 2006. I constantly use all but the 1999, depending on how old the movie in question is. I would gladly purchase an online version.

52. ray k. says:

June 30th, 2011 at 5:33 pm

This book was as much a part of our weekend planning as anything else. We were annual patrons from 1997 – 2006. Despite the wellspring of information on the web, you cant put a price on reliability. Rotten Tomatoes is a vertiginous echo chamber of opinions; the Video Movie Guide was a consistently dependable source that ensured we werent having turkey with our popcorn.

53. ingenting says:

July 21st, 2011 at 12:57 am

Found this website while searching for an online database or something that compiles all those reviews I read when I was a kid into one place. I am super bummed out that these two have been phased out of being published as they were a staple of my youth and greatly influenced my entire upbringing. Please come back!

54. Dawn says:

July 24th, 2011 at 10:48 am

Ditto ditto ditto.  If Mick & Marsha finally publish or set up a website, I would definitely buy a downloadable or hard copy.  On line doesn’t work for this.  My last copy was 2003 and I have been looking in stores since.  It, like the rest of yours, is in tatters.

55. good movies says:

November 23rd, 2011 at 6:17 am

good movies…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

56. Steve says:

December 12th, 2011 at 10:35 am

We have a very much used and battered 2005 edition and have been looking for an updated version. Received it as a gift and it was the best gift we could have (or ever did receive) received from that friend. We do use IMDB as well, but their input and views of movies matched closely to our ultimate reviews so we depended upon their identification of how good an unknown movie was before watching/buying. IMDB doesn’t necessarily provide us the input we are looking for and Maltlan’s books are so far off from our ratings of a movie we threw his book away (worthless reviews – couldn’t even bring myself to donate it to Goodwill).

57. discount Five Fingers shoes says:

January 3rd, 2012 at 7:43 pm

discount Five Fingers shoes…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

58. Ade says:

January 10th, 2012 at 5:43 am

Putting aside the fact that a lot of people don’t have internet (through choice or they live in a rural area with no broadband provison) the information provided by internet reviews is simply not as good or as easy to use. Mick & Marsha’s guide has been my essential text for years and I am simply lost without an updated version.

59. Website thanh lap doanh hang nghiep hang dau says:

January 13th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Website thanh lap doanh hang nghiep hang dau…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

60. techblog says:

January 14th, 2012 at 12:48 am

techblog…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

61. Logan Doe says:

January 18th, 2012 at 1:22 am

I’m 28 years old.

I started using Martin/Porter’s Video Movie Guide in 1990 (6 years old) when I stumbled across their book in the library. Bought it every year until Random House stopped publishing it. It’s still the reason I rate movies on a five-star scale, not four. I miss it very much and would continue buying it if it came out.

62. Pharos says:

January 23rd, 2012 at 4:24 pm

It’s 2012 now…and there are still people posting about the great DVD and Video Guide that both Martin and Porter had created. It’s sad that a publisher cancels the best book of this type. Oh well.

As they say….’All Good Things Come to an End”

Sadly, it seems we’re stuck with Maltin’s book or other inferior ones.

Internet is nice. But, it’s nice to have a book around; when you just to take a quick look at a nice and short review.

63. Hotel Chiangmai Thailand says:

January 28th, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Hotel Chiangmai Thailand…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

64. Bob says:

February 5th, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I’ve loved my Martin and Porter movie guides and, yes, they are by far the best! Often when I look up a specific movie I see another one nearby with 5 stars that I’ve never seen before and so I add that to my queue too. I can’t do that on IMDB. Since more people are watching movies at home on their big screen TVs, it’s essential to have a comprehensive title/actor/rating/director movie guide handy, especially when they’re wandering through several decades of movies. Random House, are you listening to your loyal customers??

65. Ron Francois says:

February 16th, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Long live Farber, Godard, Rosenbaum, Dolphy, Adair, fuckin’ Bazin and fuckin’ Truffaut. Jesus CHRIST! RIP M&M’s publishing biz

66. Martin says:

February 20th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

My family has also been using the Martin/Marsha books since the early 90′s. Random house must be full of idiots not to consider continuing this movie review series. I have tried alternatives and have found none that meet the honest review that M&M provided. The only thing close is allmovie.com. and even that is limited compared to M&M. It should be noted that this post has been running for four years and is still getting comments for random house to bring this book back. Does anyone have a better site then allmovie.com? If so I would love to know.

67. DVD Software says:

March 11th, 2012 at 9:59 am

DVD Software…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

68. Sam Kilnwitt says:

March 13th, 2012 at 12:26 am

Bring Mick and Marsha back! I don’t want to spend all day on the internet looking up movies! Mick and Marsha’s book is quick, handy, and informative. Leonard Maltin’s books are terrible, and they are NO replacement…I refuse to buy them. We miss you Mick and Marsha!

69. Melissa Valerie Martinez says:

April 6th, 2012 at 5:36 pm

It is extremely comforting to read all of the comments regarding the loss of the Mick Martin & Marsha Porter DVD & Video Guide or Video Movie Guide as I fondly remember it.  I have been getting by with my 2007 version of the book and have chided myself for years for not having updated.  Well, today was the day that I was driven to my local Barnes and Noble store to finally pick up that 2012 copy so long overdue.  I was stunned and overwhelmed with sadness when told by the reference lady that the last version was 2007.  I slunk away in misery and disbelief, my boyfriend trying to keep me calm.  Thank you for giving us an outlet for our shared frustration.  If anyone out there is listening, we miss this treasure of a guide and would happily pay a small fortune to have it in our lives again.  How else can I find out If “Mr Bean’s Holiday” (2007) was as enjoyable to these great, quick, and concise minds as it was to me?

70. B. J. Davis says:

April 27th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I have been trying for years to get an updated version of this reference guide. It’s the best out there and it’s truly hard to believe that it’s no longer being published. I strongly agree with everyone’s comments about how good M&M are. No one else comes close. I’ll be sending Mick an email just to let him know how much his work is appreciated and missed.

71. Angus Scrimm says:

May 31st, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Not a day goes by that I don’t consult my 2007 Martin and Porter, looking up a now obscure old film title that has beguilngly resurrected itself in my memory, researching in its unparalleled index section the oeuvre of an actor or director checking on a crossword puzzle clue, or getting Mick and Marsha’s urbane, informed take on something screening tonight on TCM. As with several of the correspondents above, my copies of the guide are now in segments and tatters from from incessant use. If in this high-profit-driven world the publishers can’t see sufficient massive return on investment in an annual volume, how about a comprehensive new edition every two years? Five? I would happily lend my name and active support to implemebting any such endeavor. The point is, we need a new Martin and Porter now!

72. Angus Scrimm says:

May 31st, 2012 at 6:54 pm

A follow-up thought: What if we all pledged to buy a minimum of a dozen copies at publication? They make superb gifts

73. Angus Scrimm says:

June 1st, 2012 at 2:58 pm

And furthermore: Regarding Random House’s contention that we no longer need a Martin and Porter because the info is available on the Internet, I personally do not own one of those small palm-held web thingamajiggies, and it’d be some drag to lug a heavy computer back and forth to the bathroom, where I instead stash M and P for perusal and edification during sit-down sessions. How’s that for a closing argument? Actually, it’s not closing. More to come as I think of it. I’m not giving up on this.

74. beats says:

October 12th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

beats…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

75. purchase beats says:

October 13th, 2012 at 11:08 am

purchase beats…

[...]Geekscribe» Where in the World are Mick Martin and Marsha Porter?[...]…

76. Edward Arbogast says:

December 5th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Mick Martin and Marsha porter’s video guide is the best I have found. Using the internet for a guide is preposterous and requires a lot of time. Leonard Maltin’s guide is inferior. I need something in print in a book readily at hand. A book in the hand is worth any internet information and requires too much time to get an assessment of movies.

77. Jan says:

February 8th, 2013 at 9:25 pm

My dad keeps the 1993 totally battered edition next to his chair and pulls it out every time there’s a question about a movie or an actor. I’m getting him the 2007 to replace it before it is in several pieces, but that’s already 6 years out of date! And I can tell you, he is NOT going to look for the info on the internet. I don’t know that he’s ever been on the internet! That book is simply the best, better than all of them!

78. Lori Barth says:

April 23rd, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Have searched periodically over the years. Still miss it! No other book compares. M&M were always so right on! Dang.

79. Lt. Brannigan says:

June 8th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for all the updates, I have been scouring the web looking for an updated copy.
    Looks like I am going to just have to fall back on Video Hound.

80. MovieMan says:

January 6th, 2014 at 8:53 am

Martin and Porter easily do the best movie guide. It’s a joke that Random House decided to drop them, an even bigger joke that they blame the internet on their decision. To shortly sum it up, there reviews are relatable, relevant and thorough. There 10x better then Maltin, who summarizes the plot for more then half his review, and says his opinion in 1-3 short sentences. He gave acclaimed films like Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile and Taxi Driver two stars (with anything below two and half being a negative review) out of four (not as good as Martin and Porter’s five star rating system), which is ridiculous considering his high status in the business. I don’t mind if he disagrees with me or the public or other critics, but he barely explains himself. The fact that Maltin gets away with it and still publishes his annual movie guide which sells really well and he appears on TV alongside the best critics in the world reviewing movies, whilst Martin and Porter can’t even find a publisher, and by the looks of this blog and their long-running books throughout the 90s and 2000s, can still make money, is rubbish. Seven years has gone by since there last one, and I’m starting to doubt another guide will return.

81. TheLabyrinthMind says:

April 22nd, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Methinks it’s time to start a facebook group and actually make it in Random House’s (or any other publisher’s) best interest to publish a new edition.

82. TheLabyrinthMind says:

April 22nd, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Here we go. Like this page and maybe we’ll get a 2015 edition of the DVD & Video Guide!

Comments

Got somthing to say?

toolbar powered by www.iconcy.com